Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Union bosses’ secret emails to energy minister unearthed

The Australian: Australia: Wednesday, January 03, 2018.
More than 180 pages of secret correspondence between senior Electrical Trades Union officials and Palaszczuk government minister Mark Bailey have been unearthed on his private email account.
The discovery of the correspondence, at a time when the then energy minister a long-time ETU member was being lobbied by the union over a number of pay and industry issues has raised further questions about his claims in parliament that the account was only for private use. Last year, he told parliament: “In relation to that private email ­account, I have made it very clear that it was a private email ­account I used for private purposes.’’
A Right to Information application by The Australian for correspondence between Mr Bailey and ETU officials on his private email account mangocube6@yahoo.co.uk has found “182 pages relevant to the scope’’ in a just a seven-month period, covering July 1, 2016, to February 1, 2017.
The correspondence came at a time Mr Bailey was under union pressure to block a proposed merger of electricity industry superannuation funds in which they ETU officials would have lost their board positions and as the minister was restructuring the state-owned electricity industry.
The merger was later abandoned, and late last year it was revealed the ETU secured a pay rise from the government for its members up to 1.2 per cent higher than other state employees.
Mr Bailey had previously ­refused to publicly release any correspondence with ETU bosses, who had pushed Annastacia ­Palaszczuk to appoint him energy minister, and then deleted his ­private email account after his ­office received an RTI request by The Australian, sparking a corruption probe.
In September, the Crime and Corruption Commission cleared him of corruption, but chairman Alan MacSporran QC said Mr Bailey’s “very foolish” use and deletion of his private account was a clear breach of the ministerial handbook and a technical breach of the Public Records Act, which could not be punished because of a gap in the law.
Mr MacSporran said the timeline suggested Mr Bailey “either knew or should have known” about the RTI request before deleting the account.
The probe found Mr Bailey had deleted more than 600 (unspecified) work-related emails containing public records without proper legal authority.
The new RTI application was made following the CCC findings.
In a letter, the Queensland government’s RTI officer said the new application had elicited 182 relevant pages from the ­account over the seven-month period. The ETU is now objecting to the release of the documents.
“On 29 November 2017, I received a response from the ETU advising that they object to disclosure of all 182 pages of information on the basis that the information is exempt or its disclosure would, on balance, be contrary to the public interest,’’ the RTI officer said in the letter.
Energy Queensland, which operates the state-owned electricity network and employs thousands of ETU members, has objected to the release of seven pages of the documents on the grounds that “it comprises information subject to legal professional privilege’’.