Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Cuffs on pub managers who fled

The Telegraph: Mumbai: Tuesday, January 02, 2018.
Police on Monday arrested two managers of the upscale 1 Above pub, where a fire claimed 14 lives last week, following allegations that they fled without helping the guests who had gathered at the rooftop joint.
The New Year's Day arrests took place even as the city's civic body pressed ahead with the crackdown it had launched on illegal constructions at hotels, restaurants and commercial establishments since the December 29 blaze.
The main accused in the case - the pub's owners - are absconding.
The fire that swept through the pub, located at the Kamala Mills compound in the Lower Parel area, also left 21 people injured.
A police official said the managers Gibson Lopez, 34, and Kevin Bawa, 35, were arrested from NM Joshi Marg police station, adding that both were present when the fire broke out in the early hours of Friday, but had fled without helping the guests.
"We have arrested both the managers," senior police inspector Ahmad Pathan said.
The two have been booked under penal code sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 337 (causing hurt by an act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention), he added.
The jail term for culpable homicide not amounting to murder can extend up to 10 years or even life.
Lopez and Bawa were produced in a local court, which sent them to police custody till January 9.
The pub's owners, Hitesh Sanghvi and Jigar Sanghvi, co-owner Abhijeet Manka and others have already been booked on various charges, including culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
On Sunday, the police had arrested two persons accused of providing shelter to the owners. Rakesh Sanghvi, an uncle of the Sanghvi brothers, and cousin Aditya Sanghvi were arrested while a search was on for another relative, Mahendra Sanghvi, according to Avinash Shingthe, senior police inspector, Byculla.
Rakesh and Aditya were later produced before a court in Bhoiwada, which granted them bail on a bond of Rs 25,000 each.
A senior civic official said demolition squads were razing illegal alterations and constructions in the Todi Mill and Raghuvanshi Mills areas since Monday morning, on the directions of Brihanmumbai Municipal Commissioner Ajoy Mehta.
The official said several structures had been razed in the Kamala Mills compound area over the past three days and added that demolition drives would be conducted regularly to keep a check on unauthorised constructions.
The BMC has also asked owners of commercial establishments to assess, on their own, if their premises followed all norms related to fire safety.
Municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta blamed a nexus between "a very small percentage of corrupt officials" and "professional complainants" for the illegal eateries. They "together are trying to ensure that the permissions are given in a particular way or are subverted", he said.
Asked if he meant RTI activists, Mehta said: "The RTI Act was always an instrument for people's good and I believe that it is one of the best things that could have happened. But yes, there are people who misuse the law. And this is what I call a professional complainant," he said. PTI