The Hindu: Mumbai: Sunday, April
17, 2016.
The state
government has no plans to end toll collection at any of the five points of
entry to the city, the the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation
(MSRDC) has said in its reply to an RTI query by activist Anil Galgali.
The reply
also said MSRDC has spent Rs 119.44 crore on the maintenance of 31 flyovers in
the city, whose upkeep was originally entrusted with MEP Infrastructure Pvt
Ltd, the firm contracted to collect toll. The flyovers were built by the
government at a cost of Rs 1,058.34 crore.
Despite
entering into an agreement with MEP Infra Pvt Ltd in 2010-11 by awarding them
the right to collect tolls, the MSRDC does not have exact information on
year-wise toll collection since then.
“The
information given by the government clarifies that despite assurances by
politicians, no proposal to close any of the toll plazas is being discussed by
the government,” Mr Galgali said.
He added that
the government must also clarify on the reasons behind spending public money on
flyover maintenance when the responsibility rests with the toll collection
firm.
As per
information made available, MEP Infra has the contract for 16 years, for which
it has deposited a sum of around Rs 2,200 crore with the government as
security. Public works minister Eknath Shinde was not available for comment.