The
Hindu: Jaipur: Saturday, 06 February 2016.
The demand
for the arrest of the Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Kanwar Lal Meena grew
stronger, as Aruna Roy and Nikhil Dey of the Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan
(MKSS), along with their supporters, took to the streets here, on Friday, questioning
the inaction of the agencies investigating the case against the MLA who
attacked activists last month.
On January
16, a mob attacked members of the Jawabdehi yatra in Jhalawar district’s Aklera
region. Several groups including the MKSS participated in the yatra.
After the
attack videos of Mr. Meena emerged showing the Minister with a lathi charging
towards the activists, beating them and then chasing other activists.
An FIR was
filed against “30-35 unknown persons” and few arrests were made, even after
continued demands by organisations including the MKSS and the People’s Union
for Civil Liberties (PUCL)
In response
to an RTI, Ms. Roy said it was found that there were 20 cases registered
against Mr. Meena but charge sheet had been filed only in seven cases. The
cases involved rioting, unlawful assembly, and causing damage to property.
“With so many
cases against him, the MLA should have been named a history-sheeter. But, he
was given ticket by the party [BJP] to contest the elections,” Ms. Roy said.
Speaking to
The Hindu , Pankaj Kumar Singh, ADG (CID-Crime Branch), said, “Our team has
visited the incident spot [Aklera] and collected video and statements of locals
for evidence. The investigation is under way.”
