Indian Express: Jaipur: Thursday,
June 02, 2016.
Social
activists on Wednesday accused chief minister Vasundhara Raje of shielding BJP
MLA Kanwar Lal Meena, who allegedly attacked the ‘Jawabdehi Yatra’ led by Right
to Information (RTI) activists in January this year.
While Meena
has denied any role in the incident, activists led by Aruna Roy, Nikhil Dey and
Kavita Srivastava have repeatedly furnished videos showing the MLA purportedly
attacking members of the ‘Jawabdehi Yatra’ in Aklera, which falls under
Jhalawar, the chief minister’s assembly constituency.
Roy and Dey
claimed that home minister Gulab Chand Kataria told them that he was unable to
act against Meena since his ‘file’ had been ‘stopped’ by Chief Minister
Vasundhara Raje.
Kataria,
however, denied making any such claim.
“The matter
has been investigated but the file has been stopped. I don’t know from where,
but right now there’s no progress on it,” Kataria told The Indian Express.
The activists
said such a move would hinder the proper implementation of law and order in the
state and set a bad precedent.
“People keep
asking us why the MLA attacked our colleagues and whether he has any political
protection. We kept saying we did not have any answers and wanted to meet the
CM to discuss the matter. This shows that the CM herself is protecting the
errant MLA and creating hurdles in the implementation of law and order,” a
statement issued by Roy, Dey and others said.