Brighter Kashmir: New Delhi: Saturday, November 25, 2017.
The Centre in
a reply to an RTI said it has no plans of constructing Composite Township for
the displaced Kashmiri Pandit in Kashmir.
The reply also
advised the query filer to instead seek the information directly from the Jammu
and Kashmir government.
Social
activist Rohit Choudhury filed the RTI regarding the status of rehabilitating
the Kashmiri Pandits who left the Valley following surge in terrorism in the
1990s.
To his query,
Director in Ministry of Home Affairs, Ram Krishna Swarnakar denied having any
plans to set up composite townships in Kashmir for the displaced.
“This
ministry doesn’t have any plan to set up composite townships for displaced
Kashmiri Pandit migrants,” the RTI reply said. Responding to the question what
measures have been taken, Swarnakar said, “It is advised to you to seek the
information directly from the state government of J&K”.
The RTI reply
came to light on a day the Centre’s special representative Dineshwar Sharma is
scheduled to visit Jammu and Kashmir for his second trip to the state. As per
reports, Sharma is expected to visit migrant camps in Jammu and in the Valley,
and listen to the problems of the migrants.
The Pandits,
in a bid to guarantee rehabilitation, demanded setting up of a Welfare Board
for the community.
Sharma met
Kashmiri Pandit representatives during his first visit to Kashmir earlier this
month and discussed roadmap for their return and rehabilitation.