Sunday, November 26, 2017

1,025 commuters booked in disabled coaches, activists seek stricter action.

Times of India: Nitasha Natu: Mumbai: Sunday, November 26, 2017.
More than a thousand commuters were caught travelling illegally in coaches reserved for the differently-abled in a week-long drive by the government railway police (GRP).
Of these, 470 commuters were booked on Central Railwayand 555 on Western Railway. But activists said the situation continues to be grim for disabled commuters as apart from occasional drives, little action is taken against unauthorized travellers.
The week-long drive was carried out from November 13 to 18. A total of 1,025 unauthorized travellers were caught by GRP and handed over to the Railway Protection Force (RPF) for prosecution under the Indian Railways Act. The penalty under this Act is Rs 500.
"The Right of Persons with Disabilities Act (RPWD) provides for a two-year prison sentence and a fine up to Rs 1 lakh for whoever fraudulently avails of or attempts to avail of any benefit for people with benchmark disabilities. So far, only one person has been booked under this Act by the GRP," said activist Nitin Gaikwad who had made an RTI plea in this context. "We need a lot more prosecutions under RPWD to deter travellers from boarding the coach for the disabled."
Gaikwad added that while the metro caused a tremendous surge in footfalls at Andheri and Ghatkopar stations, there was no corresponding rise in the number of security personnel posted.
"It is impossible to board the disabled coach during peak hour from Ghatkopar station. There are no checks conducted by either RPF or GRP, simply because their numbers are way insufficient. The bullies who hog space at the entrance to the compartment do not hesitate before pushing off disabled travellers. Sometimes plainclothed cops from Mumbai police force are amongst these bullies."
Boarding from Kalyan, Dombivli, Ghatkopar and Dadar stations on CR and getting off at Bandra, Andheri, Borivli on WR during peak hours is tough for disabled travellers. Around 10 days ago, a disabled traveller, Jayesh Shah, fell off a CR local while trying to board unsuccessfully, and injured his hand.
"Another problem is women commuters travelling illegally in the disabled coach, which is adjacent to the ladies coach. If we ask them to alight, we are greeted with abuses," said activist Fatima D'Souza. "Worse still are male commuters groping us on the pretext of helping us board the coach for disabled. I have started shouting at them to keep their hands off me. At times, the coach is so packed that I have to travel to Virar and then take a return train to Nalasopara where I stay. Unauthorized male commuters routinely issue threats like 'ek pair toota hai na, doosra bhi tod denge (you have a leg broken leg, we will break the other)' if we protest," she added.