Times of India: Chennai: Monday,
April 15, 2013.
One of the
three convicts on death row for the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, AG
Perarivalan, will on Monday be on a videoconference with Central Information
CommissionerSatyananda Mishra on a complaint against Rashtrapati Bhavan and the
ministry of home affairs on a petition seeking to know why his mercy plea was
rejected in August 2011.
A
notification on the videoconference was fixed three days ago after Perarivalan,
42, sent an appeal to the RTI chief on the home ministry's refusal to reply to
his petition.
In his
petition, Perarivalan asked for the reasons behind the rejection of his mercy
plea and on what grounds the ministry arrived at the decision.
Senior
information commission officials said it is the first time that the CIC will
give a hearing to a convict facing the gallows.
Perarivalan
sent repeated queries to the home ministry from August 2011, asking for the
reasons stated for the rejection of his mercy petition by then President
Pratibha Patil. But officials apparently blocked the petition, although the RTI
Act mandates that information officers reply to a petition within 30 days.
A trial court
handed Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan the death sentence in 1999 for the May
21, 1991 assassination of Rajiv Gandhi.
Rajiv Rufus,
one of the counsels of the three convicts, said jail officials had made
arrangements for the videoconferencing session two days ago after receiving a
notification on the matter from the CIC. "After his petitions and queries
were repeatedly ignored by officials, Perarivalan sent a direct appeal to the
CIC by telegram three months ago," Rufus said. "He noted in his
appeal to the CIC that home ministry officials had admitted that there had not
been a complete investigation of his role in the making of the bomb that killed
Rajiv Gandhi."
Perarivalan
had been charged with providing a 9-volt battery for the explosive device to
assassination conspirator Sivarasan. Perarivalan, now 42, was 20 years old at
the time of the assassination.
A senior
prisons officer said all central jails in the country have videoconferencing
facilities.