Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Mewat man scripts state civil services history

Times of India: Gurgaon: Tuesday, August 22, 2017.
"I've never considered religion because I'm a social worker." Meet Wakeel Ahmed, 32, an impressive young man from Mewat who has become the first ever from this region to be selected for a career in the Haryana civil service.
Hailing from Tain village, in Nuh tehsil of Mewat district, Ahmed is an old head on young shoulders. Last September, he sat down confidently for his interview, prepped for the questions. "I was asked why does Mewat, barely 70 km from the Millennium City, have a reputation for backwardness? And who is responsible for this state of affairs?" he said in a freewheeling chat with TOI, at the Haryana Institute of Public Administration.
"I replied that while the fault lies with the community, there's also governmental neglect. And for the region to emerge out of backwardness, education must improve."
A year on, following a rigorous training program conducted over 11 months, which included a 'Bharat Darshan', in which the recruits imbibed the best administrative practices from around India, he awaits his first posting. "I got selected on merit, and now I have to perform, to deliver."
After completing a Bachelors in political science (in which he earned a gold medal) and a Masters in social work, both from Jamia Millia Islamia, Ahmed interned with the Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan (MKSS), the organisation which pioneered the RTI movement. It was here, in 2007, that he presented an impact analysis of RTI - two years after the campaign was born - in front of the former chief justice, the late J S Verma, who was struck by the aptitude and dedication shown by the young man.
"Justice Verma advised me not to waste my talent, and that if I had justice of the common man in mind, I can serve the people." It was then that Ahmed seriously began to mull a life in service of his countrymen and countrywomen.
"Thanks to the orientation I got in two years of social work, I got to meet people from all walks of life, people like Aruna Roy, Prashant Bhushan and Medha Patkar.
"I learnt a lot, and now I'm able to understand the problems of the common man from the perspective of the common man."
His deep dive into the world of RTI gave Ahmed a clearer understanding of governance, while his work as a block development officer, in five postings spread across three years - which included handling three blocks at one time - helped ready him for the demands of public service.
And for anyone questioning the Mewati's patriotism (since canards abound when it comes to this Muslim-dominated enclave), Ahmed has the answer in history. "Before the battle of Khanwa in 1527, Babur saw that Hasan Khan Mewati, the region's ruler, had joined forces with Rana Sanga of Mewar. Babur saw this as an act of apostasy, to which Hasan Khan's answer was, 'You're an outsider, I don't owe allegiance to you - he is my brother, and this is my homeland."
Ahmed also happens to be a writer, one who has penned eight short stories in Hindi (to be anthologised soon). But it's the chance to do good for society, to empower people, that challenges and inspires him. "I want to help people to help themselves, but also to serve the needy and deliver justice to them."